Don’t you LOVE when you get strep throat and feel like garbage ?! SAME, it’s the best. Recently when I got sick, before picking up my prescription, I stopped off at the local health food store for some of their small-batch soup. Whilst looking around I came across a product I had only thus far seen on Instagram. Whenever I would scroll my feed I would see promo images for their products and I’d always wonder whether they worked well etc… Obviously, I picked this product up.
Nena, the house brand of Ironwood Clay, first launched in the 1990s. To the local First Nation tribe, Nena means ‘magical’ and ‘mystical’ in their native tongue. The star product of this skin care system is the Glacial Clay Mask, which contains more than 99% of natural clay. This deep cleansing mask is great for combating the effects of pollution and detoxifies while hydrating the skin.
Nena is a Canadian company that prides itself in not only their sustainable and eco-friendly harvesting techniques but also the aid and support that they provide for first nations people in the area of their harvest. Their Skincare not only does good for your skin but also for others involved in the entire production chain, very admirable.
There are so many benefits when it comes to Canadian glacial clay and silt, and instead of trying to paraphrase I will let Nena describe the benefits to you.
1. Rich in Minerals: This clay has been maturing off the west coast of Canada over thousands of years. Formed by the movement of glaciers, it contains more than 70 minerals unique to this part of the world.
2. Magnetic Clean: The skin’s impurities are positively charged, while the particles in the clay are negatively charged. When applied to the skin, the negative ions from the clay attract the impurities in the skin. When you wash your face, the impurities are removed with the clay ensuring a deep clean.
3. Reducing Pore Size: After removing the impurities such as oil and dirt from the pores, glacial oceanic clay also helps to reduce pore size, leaving the skin porcelain smooth.
4. Natural Skin Hydration: Oceanic clay uses its osmotic strength to pull moisture up from deep inner tissues to hydrate the face. It cleans the skin but does not dehydrate it as other cleansing agents may do.
5. Cleaning Barrier: Due to their minute sizes, glacial oceanic clay particles act as an emulsifying agent. They form a barrier around the oily particles on your skin, which then allows them to be removed effectively when you rinse your face.
6. Healing Properties: The clay acts as dermatological protector, with anti-inflammatory properties, cooling and soothing the skin with each application.
7. Balanced pH: Glacial oceanic clay helps maintain a balanced skin pH with powerful buffering capability. It also helps to strengthen the barrier function of the skin to keep it healthy and beautiful.
8. UV protection: The clay’s minerals work together to form natural and long-lasting protection against UVB, UVA and UVC rays.
Let’s do photos first.
This mask has a gel-like texture. It’s more fluid than a regular clay mask but slightly thicker than your everyday gel moisturizer. Prior to applying this mask, you need to shake it really well as the natural ingredients do separate. When I first started applying this mask I was pleasantly surprised with it as it doesn’t have a scent and spreads really easily. The texture is easy to work with and a little goes a long way if you work quickly. If you apply slowly don’t squirt a lot into your hands as this mask is quick to dry. The formula will start to thicken and it will become increasingly more challenging to spread.
The mask is very cooling when you first apply it and it tightens ever so slightly when it starts to dry. It will crack off if you move your face too much. Upon washing my face my skin felt extremely soft and a little dry, not in an uncomfortable way but more so in a way that I know I need a light moisturizer but could be without for an hour or so. My skin definitely felt much cleaner and toned, and my pores did look slightly more refined. Over the next few hours, my skin felt lighter and I noticed a great deal of inflammation had gone down. I was very surprised.
This is definitely a mask I will be using again, especially considering a large tube costs only $14.99. The price is very reasonable for the quantity you receive and it’s effective.
I hope you consider supporting a small business like Nena. If you have any other questions about this mask just e-mail us or comment below!